This past Saturday evening, the phone rang and I looked at the caller I.D. and it said , "ARIZONA." I picked up the phone and on the other end was a lovely woman who had hosted Elder Blake Morgan and his companion for dinner. She was delightful to visit with, and she really enjoyed her time with these two Elders. She was so impressed with Elder Morgan that she decided to give us a call and let us know how much she enjoyed the evening. This was a rare treat for Adrian and I, and we really appreciated the personal update on Elder Morgan in Show Low, AZ.
Here are the highlights:
- Elder Morgan's companion is from southern Virginia. (Can't wait to find out the specifics.)
- Elder Morgan shared a powerful message after the meal, and this woman reported that it seemed as if he was a seasoned missionary who had be serving for 23 months, not a "greenie" serving just a few days in his first area. (Elders serve for a total of 24 months.)
- Elder Morgan lives is a very nice apartment. (Former missionaries will appreciate this.) His landlord built a in-law suite at his home and now lets the missionaries live in it. It has it's own entrance and Elder Morgan commented that he hoped all of his apartments would be sooo sweet. (Not too likely. Enjoy it while you can! :)
- According to the caller, Elder Morgan is working with the BEST ward mission leader EVER!
- Again, according to the caller, Elder Morgan has the BEST mission president EVER!
- Elder Morgan is speaking in church (today) his first Sunday in Show Low.
- Elder Morgan is SOOO lucky to be in the Arizona mountains (Show Low) where the average high in the summer is 85-88 degrees. If he can stay for 18 weeks, he will miss the sweltering summer heat of the low lying Arizona desert. (Missionary transfers occur every six weeks. Each transfer he could stay put, or go to a new location in the mission, but most new missionaries stay in the same area with their trainer for at least 12 weeks. Most likely, Elder Morgan will be in Show Low for the summer.)
- The owner of the Show Low D.Q. (Dairy Queen) invites the missionaries to have one free meal at his restaurant every week. Yay, Blizzards!